Simple Build Cars
Any 1980 and newer model car. Drivers must remain in the vehicle with helmet, seat belt, eye protection and steering wheel on until notified by an official that it is safe to exit the vehicle.
- Driver’s door hits are illegal. If the hit is deemed by the official to be careless or intentional, you will be disqualified. If you use your driver’s door as a defense, we will not enforce the rules.
- No hot rodding in the pits. Keep it at an idle.
- Any open door will be cause disqualification, you are allowed one fire, and then second fire will be cause for disqualification. You may return in later rounds.
- Sandbagging is not tolerated and will be strictly enforced. Locking up the brakes prior to a hit for anything other than a driver’s door will be a cause for disqualification. The fans pay to see a show, put one on for them! - You must make AGGRESSIVE HIT every 60 seconds. - You will be given ample time for restarts. We do not use the clock exclusively. We try to work with you if you are hung up. Hitters get more time than sandbaggers. - This is not a team event; team driving will not be tolerated. if the derby is stopped for sandbagging you will get a pink S sprayed on your car.
- Any questions, CALL FIRST. Don’t assume anything. The Officials decision is final.
- No sedagons, body creasing limited to rear quarters only. No other creasing or frame shaping, forming or folding allowed. - Hood must be open for inspection.
- Wagons ONLY if you remove your tail gate may have 6 places of wire 2 strands max must be behind axle sheet metal to sheet metal only roof to floor.
- Anything can be removed, NOTHING can be added. – All cars competing must have a hood on at all times to run. - Fasten trunks, hoods, tail gates in 6 places, 2x2x2 angle,2x2 flat steel, chain or 2 strands of #9 wire (Sheet metal to sheet metal only)or 6 locations using 1⁄2 bolts with store bought washers through the drip rail in the trunk. -Door seams may have no more than 12” of weld, vertical seam only. 2” x 1/4” strap.
-You may have up to a 6” core support spacer (it may not be welded if metal)
- If you choose to change your core support mounts with 2 of your 5/8 threaded rods, you get 3 plates 1/4x 5”x 5” max, 7- 5/8 nuts ,7 -3"OD max 1/8 thick washers per threaded rod CORE SUPPORT ONLY. If core support bolts are changed, this will count for 2 of your 6 mounts to hold the hood down.
-ALL body bolts must remain stock with the exception i will allow you to change up to 4 bolts with no larger than 1/2 inch bolt but must go through the factory bushing. if you change more than 4 you will loose the extras and not be allowed to put anything in there place. do not push this rule. bolt may only go through frame and body as it was factory.
- No attaching body bolts to any part of the cage/roll over bar. - #9 wire or chain required in front windshield.
- You may dimple or notch your rear frame rails only to achieve the frame to roll
- NO welding, bolting, wiring or adding any material/substance to strengthen frames.
discretion frames will be drilled, wire wheeled or wiped down. – Absolutely not painting or spraying any material on frames or welds. Cars will not be inspected.
- No cold bending frames at all!! All frames will be checked with a straight edge. If caught cold bending or tilted will result in automatic disqualification.
SUSPENSION and STEERING:
- You may weld 2 straps per upper A-Arm 2”x2” to maintain ride height.
- You may change coil springs to a stiffer oem passenger car spring.
- You may use store bought spring spacers (no homemade spacers or spacers on top of the springs)
- You may use a single strand #9 wire to hold coil spring to rear end. Leaf spring cars may use 4 single strands #9 wire as leaf clamps per spring stack.
- All suspension and steering must remain stock (unless a modification is stated ).
- Aftermarket steering columns and shafts are allowed. These components may not strength car in anyway at anytime.
- Tie rods maybe reinforced in only 1 of the following 2 ways; 1) sleeve maybe discarded and pipe/solid rod tapped can be put in it's place. 2) Factory sleeve and ends maybe welded and reinforced with steel. Tie rod ends must be factory ends and fit the spindle and drag link without reaming the holes larger. A store bought washer maybe placed over the steam of the tie rod and welded.
- Upper A arms maybe interchanged as long as there able to be bolted on. You may cut/ trim to make fit but no welding on brackets etc. A arm must bolt on factory brackets of frame, no drilling new holes or enlarging exist- ing holes. Example: 80-91 box ford a arms being installed on a 98-02. Cut the mounting bar out and trim the edges of a arms to get height.
-Rear control arms may be changed but must be stock. You may shorten but max 2” overlap.
- 98 up watt links conversion will be allowed only in the following way!! Upper trailing arm brackets must be bolted in. They must be 2 separate brackets, may not be larger than 6”x 12”x 3/8” thick max. 4- 5/8 bolts, nuts and 8 washers per bracket. Brackets may only be bolted to package tray and bolts may not stick thru body. Brackets may not strength frame or body. NO WELDING AT ALL OF UPPER BRACKETS. Must run factory control arms, may be shorted but nothing to strengthen them.
-98 up watt links LOWER BRACKET Conversion. Only 1 way will be allowed to mount lower trailing arm bracket. 1 piece of square tube 3”x 3”x 3/8”x 3” long max per side of frame maybe used. Cut the square tube to make a C channel. It must be welded to the inboard of the frame at the point you want your trailing arm mounted. Drill your hole thru the tube and only 1 thickness of the frame. Bolt your arm into place. No other bolts will be allowed to mount this bracket. No factory mounting brackets will be allowed to mount the trailing arms.
- ANY drive train & transmission (manual transmissions allowed, steel aftermarket bell housings allowed but trans tunnel must be cut and not touching the bell in any way, no trans brace, no mid plates.
-you may run a basic front plate and lower engine cradle with pulley protector, may run aftermarket mounts as long as there the bushing style.
-no engine chains, unless approved with pictures
- Any rear 5 or 8 lug, may not strengthen car in any way.
- Rear end brace will be allowed.
-Pinion brake is ok
- You may run 3/8 chain around rear end back to the frame with only each end of the chain welded back to the frame for ride height control. Any extra chain links or weld on the frame will cause you to run working suspension.
DRIVERS COMPARTMENT :
- 4 point square cage only, (1) down tube in the center of each front door welded to sheet metal only nothing to the frame. max 60 inch cage over all measurement. 6 inch max, Must be mounted horizontally and 6 inches off floor. Gussets only in interior of 4 point cage.
- Gas tank mount may be welded to back bar, but bar and fuel cell/tank must be 4 inches from rear sheet metal. See below for mounting fuel tank/ cell to floor.
- Halo bar allowed is allowed, 2-1/2 bolts with 1/2 washers to attach to roof. The halo bar may only be attached to the back seat bar or sidebars, not to floor.
- Drivers door must be padded.
- Gas tank and batteries must be moved and secured. Tank behind the seat, Battery centered in the passenger front floor.
- Nothing may be mounted in a way that strengthens the car.
- Trans coolers allowed. Must be mounted inside 4 point cage area. Or on cage must be tight to cage if mounted on back bar.
- You may hardnose front and rear bumpers if desired, but no shortening rear frame. Follow rules below if using a shock.
- You may weld on any DI approved bumper(see below). Bumper brackets (in factory location) maybe weld continuously to frame 4 inches from the back of bumper only. In addition you may put 4 one inch welds on back side of bumper bracket or to weld shock inside frame(example Crown Vics).
You may shorten 80 and newer fords up to core support mount but core support must bolt in the factor location. Do Not move the mount or mounting hole. you may also be hard nosed.
Call with special cars to mount bumper legally. Rear brackets on rear and front brackets on front. - Or you may chain, 2 piece of chain per side BOLTED from the mount to mount to hold on the bumper.
- Bumper height must be 16" to 22" measured to the bottom of the frame at the back and front body mount location.
-Bumper may not exceed 9’’x9’’. - BUMPERS are interchangeable for all cars. -IF you start with a stock/replace- ment bumper you are allowed to re-enforce inside of bumper
- Bumper must appear stock from the stands with no spike or protruding items.
-If your bumper will not fit in a factory skin, it is too big.
- You may weld the outer chrome skin to the bumper inner frame - Bumpers may be cut to keep them out of the tires/ no sharp ends. - Bumpers may be flipped (upside down).
TIRES & BRAKES:
-No tires taller than 30". 4 wheels max per car. No dual tires. - No split rims, studded tires or 100% solid wheels, you may use aftermarket center with various bolt patterns, solid centers are fine. Welds must be approved by judges on rear tires. Stay off the area of the rim the tube touches, except to weld your center into the rim.
- Valve stem protectors allowed, Valve stem protectors may not extend more than 6 inches from valve stem. Not allowed to be a rim protector. -Inner bead locks must not extend past stock tire bead area, not to exceed 2 inches wide. 1 inch outer lip ring allowed on outside bead.
- Doubled or foam filled tires allowed. - All cars must be able to demonstrate the ability to stop at any time. If your brakes do not work, you will not compete.
- You may not change tires after inspection, ride height will be measured with your competition tires only.
-03 and newer fords will have to maintain the factory aluminum cradle and factory rack and pinion. You may bolt in a steel mount for your engine but only bolted to the aluminum cradle in the original mounting holes. No welding allowed on the cradle.
These are simple rules for a simple build, let’s keep it that way. Do not get "creative" or read into these rules. We’re getting it back to the basics. If it is not clearly described above, it is not allowed. If it doesn't say you can, YOU CAN'T!!